Friday, April 29, 2011

Ubuntu 11.04 - not starting out well...

I just had a notification to upgrade Ubuntu on my good laptop to 11.04.  I figured, 'why not?'.  Why not indeed... before I managed to even re-start the machine I ran into dramas.

First the upgrade ruined my Avermedia driver, so that would need recompiling. How hard can it be, right? Terribly hard. With the old drivers still lurking somewhere and not knowing how to remove them completely, no matter how I tried to compile the driver again, the application still wouldn't play the game with the hardware. Anyone with a tip, feel free to comment below.

Second, the interface. Oh woe is the interface. I'm sure the extra real estate would be of value on the netbook, and it works pretty well on Mrs. Six3seven's 10.1 display, I hate it on the dual 20" monitors I use in my office.

Third, still the interface. Immediately, it's buggy. It does weird things, like half load pages of it's own interface, the standard wallpaper corrupts and it just looks nasty.

Forth, did I mention I hate the interface?

Back to 10.04 LTS for me.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    same problem here, seems to be a problem between the ubuntu 11.04 kernel and the Avermedia driver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Xens, I think if it were a clean install of 11.04 it would work fine. I found after the upgrade, trying to re-compile the driver didn't remove the previous symlinks.

    If you could completely remove the old driver first, I'm sure it would work ok.

    That wouldn't fix the terrible interface, tho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brad, no there's definitely a problem with this driver. I found a solution and made a patch, I created an entry in my blog with the required steps, but it's in french... :)

    http://www.aviolat-chauffage.ch/~xens/wordpress/?p=229

    See you, Romain

    ReplyDelete

Use information found here at your own risk!!

Hopefully you'll be more interested in my other blog... motorbikes, beer and stuff...